Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Making Chicken Stock

I use chicken stock as a base for just about everything.  I always cook whole chickens in my crockpot, so when it's done, I strip the meat off of the bones, set that aside, and throw the carcass remains back into the crockpot.  I leave all of the seasonings, onions, garlic, bones, fat, skin, bits of meat, and anything else that I have left after cooking my whole chicken.


Then, I cover everything with water and cook on low for 8 hours.  


When the stock is done, I let it cool for about an hour, and then pour everything into a strainer with a large bowl underneath.  Once it's cooled down, I pull the strainer out and pour the broth from the bowl into plastic baggies, four cups at a time, and store them in the freezer.


I do have a pressure canner, and I intend to learn how to use it so I can store my stock in mason jars on my pantry and save on freezer space!

I'm still a little scared of the pressure canner...

5 comments:

LindaG said...

I want a pressure canner, but I'm a little afraid of them, too.
So in the meantime, I freeze my broth in 2 cup containers in the fridge.

Have a wonderful week!

Wolfman said...

I love my pressure canner. Its a little spooky at first, but like anything, there are safety precautions. Never open under pressure is the first, but generally they have pressure locks to prevent that. As long as it is of good quality and repair, there is no reason to worry about a rupture. Use good oven mitts, and never leave it unattended. Use just enough heat to keep it at pressure (its less than you would think, heatwise). Canned chicken stock is very handy- just pop the top and use it, no thawing. Take the plunge, its worth it!

Unknown said...

I'm with you, Linda, they are a little scary!

Wolfman, thanks for the input, I really do need to learn to use my canner, and SOON. You're right, I always forget to thaw things, so being able to immediately use my stock would be perfect for my busy life.

Jacqueline@ Deeprootsathome.com said...

Tabitha,
Hello, new friend! I saw you linked up your site on the Deep Roots at Home page, and I am so glad to ‘meet’ you. I love what you are doing here on your blog and hope we can follow each other to be a mutual blessing in the Lord ~ It is so much fun and encouraging to get to ‘know’ new like-minded gals! Grace and peace…
I am making stock right now, too :)

Unknown said...

Thank you, Jacqueline! You have been such a blessing to me and my journey. I am so glad to "meet" you as well!

Blessings,
Tabitha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...