Monday, August 30, 2010

Ode to My Crock Pot

Found this on another blog.  I'm not sure who the original author is, but all Crock Pot lovers will appreciate it's words...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee for the dinners made on busy, tired days.
I love thee for the perfect squash I made in thee last night
And for the tender beans you cook, a flavorful delight.
I love the for the way you heal freezer burn and frost
For saving meat that otherwise would be surely tossed.
I love thee for the meals I make hours before we eat
So each afternoon I can relax and rest my weary feet.
If all my kitchen I should lose, but one appliance save
Crock Pot, you would be the one, my faithful kitchen slave.

I use my Crock Pot all the time, I don't know how I lived without it before!  Kiley bought one for himself a few years ago when he began participating in the yearly chili cook off at work.  (his secret spicy sausage recipe)  I would frown at it every time I looked at it, thinking it was just one more appliance to take up space in my kitchen.  I cannot say what day or what hour I realized it's true importance, or the addiction that would soon overwhelm me, but I can tell you that I am a changed woman.  How did I not realize it's vast importance on the well-being of a large family?!  How could I ignore it and push it to the side grumbling at the wasted counter space?!  Needless to say, I now own two Crock Pots and first available chance, I will own another!  I'm hooked, I tell ya! 
 
Seriously though, I had a few people ask about how I make my chicken in my Crock Pot.  Sometimes I use breasts, sometimes I use a whole chicken, and if you know me, you know that I at least try to do things as all natural as possible when it comes to home cooking.
 
Here goes...
I place 6 - 8 chicken breasts in my Crock Pot, add a teeny bit of water, just enough to cover the bottom.  I then squeeze a whole lemon over the chicken, sprinkle sea sale, pepper, and two cloves of garlic on top.  Cook on low for about 5 hours.  It comes out PERFECT!  Sooooo juicy and tender!
 
If you want to do a whole chicken, I do pretty much the same thing.  Although you can stuff a lemon, butter, and garlic in the cavity of the chicken.  Cook on low for about 6 hours.  When it's done, I remove all of the meat from the bones (should come off easily if it's done) and then put all of the bones back in my crock pot, cover with water, add some onions, and cook for another 5 or 6 hours.  You will have the BEST chicken broth!  You can pour the broth in jars and freeze.  YUM!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...