Thursday, June 07, 2012

Starting Seeds

Starting your seeds in starter pots, with rich garden soil, will help get your plants off to a healthy beginning.

There are a couple of ways to start your seeds, by sowing them in a starter pot indoors, or directly sowing them in the ground.  Down here, we have a very long growing season, so there really isn't too much of a reason to sow most of my seeds indoors, but for those who live where summer is short, you may want to plant in a starter pot and keep your pots inside until all danger of frost and cold weather has passed.


I plant my beans, cucumbers, squash, and peas right into the ground, and even though I don't have to worry much about frost, there are a few plants I like to start in a peat pot or starter pot.  Pumpkins, watermelons, and cantaloupe, some of my flowers, peppers and tomatoes.  Melons need a lot of time and warm weather to grow.  Usually about 90 - 100 days, and they take up a lot of room, so I transplant as soon as it's warm enough (75+ degrees) which gives me melons earlier in the season, and then I can use the melon planting area for another crop for the fall.

With my tomatoes and peppers, I plant in pots, then I transplant into my garden, and then plant seeds directly in the ground 2 weeks later, and then again two weeks after that.  This way, I harvest more veges over a longer period of time.

The reason why I start my flowers in pots is because we have so many different kinds of weeds here, and many times, flower seedlings look a lot like baby weeds.  I can't tell you how many times I've pulled up flowers I had already planted, or young seedlings that were trampled or choked out by other weeds.  Really, most flowers ARE weeds, and as I'm easily confused and forgetful, I need all the help I can get.  Starter pots for my marigolds and  nasturtiums and the like are the way to go.


Of course, all of my herbs I keep in pots, but I'll save that for another time...
 

You are cordially invited to join our Homestead Journey Facebook page, follow my pins on Pinterest, and subscribe to Homestead Journey by email.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...