Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Water Catchment

"If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them; Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit." Leviticus 26:3-4


Catching rainwater isn't a new invention.  For centuries, farmers in countries around the world have caught rooftop rain and used it for irrigation.


Why catch rainwater?  Well, your city water is full of chemicals that must be used to kill bacteria and viruses that may be floating around in the system.  Because of the shock treatment your water gets, most, if not all, of the rainwater's natural minerals are depleted.  Once again, I'm pretty sure the Lord's design of watering our crops is a much better design than anything man can come up with.  When I water my garden from my rainwater barrels, or better yet, rain directly from the sky, as opposed to watering from the spigot, my garden thrives.  There are no minerals lost in the barrels, so all of my plants are getting the benefits of food from the rain.


This is our highly developed, high cost, water catchment system.  Basically, it's a bunch of 30-something gallon trash cans and a house with no gutters.



So, it's not so impressive, but look at all of the beautiful rainwater!


Like I said, we have no gutters, but we do have a lot of peaks to our roof.  Where the peaks come together and turn into a "valley", is where we place our containers.  When it rains, all of the water runs into the valleys of the roof and falls right into the rain barrel.


We have several barrels placed strategically around the house, last year during the drought, we just about ran dry.  But I was so grateful to have that wonderful water on hand!

Be sure to keep the lids on until it rains.  Otherwise, you'll lose water and colonies of mosquitoes will move in.

2 comments:

teagirl said...

Now if I'd only seen this before today's storm. :P

Unknown said...

Very true! My rain barrels are FULL after this storm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...