Thursday, October 25, 2012

Using All-Natural, Environmentally Safe Cleaners

I gave up on harsh chemical cleaners several years ago.

One day, after my ritualistic cleaning in which I worshiped bleach and drank in the aroma of pine cleaner, I realized that the smell of both infused my lungs and each time I inhaled, all I smelled was bleach.  My lungs burned, I rushed outside into the open air, breathed deeply, but I still only smelled the cleaning products.  It took at least an hour to feel like I could breathe pure air again.  What may have been a "duh" moment for some, sent me into a deep research of the harmful side effects of chemical cleaners.  I dumped everything and began my journey of all-natural cleaners.


What's on my cleaning shelf?
Baking Soda
Vinegar
Thieves Essential Oil
Lemon Essential Oil
Spray Bottles

Baking Soda
I use baking soda to scrub toilets, bathtubs, sinks, and counters.
I just sprinkle a little on my work surface, and scrub with a damp terry towel, or scrub brush.  Baking soda is a bit gritty, so it helps with the deep scrubbing.  I haven't had a problem with scratching, but if you have a very sensitive surface, you might consider diluting your baking soda, or using a vinegar rinse instead.

Vinegar
Vinegar is effective against most mold, bacteria, germs, and smells.  On stubborn surfaces, I use white distilled vinegar full strength, however, when washing windows spot cleaning, or cleaning most surfaces, I dilute it with water 50/50 and pour into a spray bottle.

I use vinegar for cleaning sinks, toilets, door knobs, counters, light fixtures, windows, carpets, floors, basically anything I would have used a chemically induced glass cleaner for.

It also helps get rid of urine smells.

Essential Oils
The effects of essential oils not only adds the benefit of antioxidants at work, but also leaves a cleaning area smelling a little better than the vinegariness of vinegar.

I have a spray bottle filled with a mixture of water and Thieves oil.  This blend is used for quick cleanups, and used on surfaces that aren't "germy" just in need of a good cleaning.  AND it smells so refreshing!  I also use Thieves in my mop water.  The mop bucket gets filled with pure water, and then I add about 6 or 7 drops of Thieves.

Lemon oil is perfect for a toilet freshener.  You can drop a couple of drops in your toilet water or water reservoir, and it helps keep your toilet from gathering grime, mold, or stink, in between cleanings.  I use lemon oil for dusting my wood furniture as well.  Add two or three drops of oil to a terry or dust cloth, and wipe down your wood surface.  Smells great and leaves a pretty shine!

Pretty simple, huh?  Not too complicated or expensive!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...