Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Colored Lights

I’ve never really cared for colored lights. Why do people hang small, dull lights on a house? The house is too large for the tiny strands, and no one ever hangs them straight! They’re all wild! With my OCD tendencies, you know that just makes me crazy! Needless to say, I was ecstatic when the icicle lights came out. I thought, surely no one could mess those up! They don’t have to be too straight, and they’re white and clean and bright! I LOVED them! Well, it was only too soon before tacky homeowners threw them over bushes or wrapped them around a tree. There went my dream of house after house of identical light decor overhanging the eaves. I knew it was too good to be true.

For awhile, I was quite happy in my white light fantasy. Sure, I would hear a few grumblings from Kiley. He grew up with colored lights and felt for sure that I was killing a part of the essence of Christmas. I grew up with the BIG FAT colored lights and was convinced I was liberating tinted Christmas light captives from generations past. Over the last couple of years, I have given into the "shades" of the holiday. It began two Christmases ago when I decided to put colored lights on the tree. I thought Kiley would have a heart attack! This year I compromised my white light versus colored light conflict and hung my trustworthy icicle lights and a row of BIG FAT colored lights above. It turned out very nice. I must say, I’m very proud of my house this year. The right mix of fun color and white reserve. Of course, they’re all VERY straight. LOL!

1 comment:

ONLYGIRL said...

How could anyone not LOVE colored lights? IMO - you can't ever have ENOUGH colored lights! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...