Monday, August 29, 2011

Why I Choose "No Poo"

Let me begin at the beginning...

A few years ago, when I began my natural journey, I ran across an article in an Above Rubies magazine, stating the dangers in the ingredients of most store-bought shampoos.  Some are possible carginogens, some contribute to toxins in our bodies.  One in particular to be wary of is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or SLS.   SLS can be found in most hair care, body care, baby care products, it's what causes the suds.  It has absolutely NO cleansing quality, it's just a sudsing agent.  Psychologically, you believe you are getting clean because you see the suds, in actuality, you are being poisoned.  Check out your shampoos, body wash, baby wash, hand soap, you'll most likely find SLS.  An ingredient to be avoided!

I decided to try an alternative to my regular toxic shampoo.  All-natural or organic shampoos are expensive.  Which is fine if you're single or just you and your hubby, but I have a large family, and it's not so cost-effective around here.  So, we went back and forth, based on our finances and tried various options.  We finally, in exasperation, went back to cheap shampoo until I came across several blogs, articles, and such explaining their life with no shampoo.  Don't get grossed out.  I wash my hair.  In water.  I shower and wash myself with soap.  BUT, I just don't use shampoo or conditioner.  I have greasy hair, and my scalp is very oily.  However, your scalp produces natural oils needed to condition your skin and hair.  It's normal, but because we have put so much junk in our hair in order to "clean" it, the hair slips into an unnatural state.  Buildup and excessive drying out of our hair can contribute to even more grease and oil.  This, plus shampoo, can cause dandruff, itchy scalp, dry hair, frizzy hair, etc. 

I'm going to try and test this out for the next month.  I've already gone 5 days without shampooing my hair.  So far, so good.  I can tell somewhat of a difference, but from what I understand, it may take 2 to 8 weeks for your hair to regulate itself.  I suppose a purging of the scalp is in order.  I'll keep you posted and try to update often.

If you've tried going no shampoo, I'd love to hear your experience! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...