Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book Reviews

From my last post, a friend asked about a good devotional for her 5 year old son.  I sent her an email, but later thought, I should share them here as well.

One of our all-time favorites is Wisdom and the Millers.  I have used this book for simple devotionals beginning with my children from 2 years old and up.  I think my oldest was 4 when we first began reading it!

Wisdom and the Millers contains several parables which are easily identifiable to everyday life.  All of the chapters parallel to a particular chapter/verse in the book of Proverbs.


As for devotions for our older children, we really don't use any type of curriculum, or devotional book.  We simply choose a book of the Bible and read through it chapter by chapter, verse by verse.  All of our school aged children have a Bible curriculum by Rod and Staff, which aids in teaching them to dig deep and search out the scriptures.



As for reading, whether for enjoyment or school, we love Pathway books, CLE, ABeka readers, and a various assortment of classics.  I have to make special mention of a set of books that we purchased last year from The Maxwell Family called The Moody Family series.  My oldest daughter will read anything that is placed in front of her, she soaks up every available opportunity to read a good book.  My second daughter is a more active soul and cannot sit still, even for a good read.  I have had the most difficult time finding anything to peak her interest in reading, and then the Moody books came along.  She read the first five books in a matter of a few short weeks, and when she heard there would be a sixth one, she asked if she could have it for her birthday.  What?  You want a BOOK for your birthday?!  Seriously........?

If you are looking for wholesome books for your children, The Moody series is a great investment!  The books include character-building, life-lessons, developing good habits and manners, and working together as a family.  The Moodys are a large, homeschooling family, so my children identify with their fictional lives.  They even have a set of twins!


That's all I have for now, but I will add some more of our favorites as I can.  Please note, these are only my personal recommendations, each family has different values and guidelines for their children.  I find all of these books to be wholesome and of good character.  If you have any questions or need other recommendations, ask away, I'll do what I can to help!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...