Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homestead & Gardening Resources

For all of my homestead-obsessed followers, here are a list of homestead resources that I have found to be quite helpful.  By the way, you don't have to have 100 acres to be considered a homesteader, you can create your own homestead within the boundaries of your suburban home.  We have 1/3 of an acre and are able to produce a lot of our own fruits and vegetables.  I have tons of herbs growing in pots on my back patio and what used to be flower beds are now beds full of beautiful, medicinal, flowering herbs!




Probably my most thorough resource. This is my "go-to" book for most information and projects. This book contains anything from growing herbs, fruit trees, and vegetables, to cleaning your house, raising livestock, and simple building projects. A must have for any beginning homesteader.





This book resembles The Basic Country Skills book, but on a more simplistic level.  Still, I found it to be greatly beneficial, containing information that the above book did not.  A great one to have on hand for a quick resource.




Ah, our favorite West Ladies.  Let me just say, these DVDs have been one of the best sources of encouragement and information for our family.  My kids LOVE watching the West Ladies' simple country skills at work.  A must for any visual learner, and the projects and information are simple enough for the basic level homestead beginner.  Totally worth the investment!





IF you can get your hands on a copy of this huge encyclopedia, it is a gem of a book.  This book was handed down to me from my father and is about as old as I am (watch it on the comments).  I haven't found a more informative book yet, full of every kind of vegetable, herb, animal, flower, and weed you can imagine, besides sections on composting, weed control, pest control, greenhouses, and tons more.  Truly a treasure and one book I could not do without.




Last, but not least, another detailed book, containing similar information as the first two, but also has a section on how to preserve fruits and vegetables, and a section on bee-keeping.  I love the illustrations in this book, I find it much easier to identify how my plants are supposed to turn out when I have a clear visual guide to go by.


Alright now, all you gardeners, start your tillers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...