Friday, May 11, 2012

Garden Update

For those who have asked about my garden, here's an update.  I really need to learn how to take better pictures...

I took these pics a little over a week ago, and I can't believe how much everything has changed.  It seems all of the plants have doubled since then!  And, of course, this rain will help all the more.

Tomatoes, okra, peppers, pumpkins, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, onions, potatoes, cabbage, and several herbs.


Green beans, black beans, squash, and a cool (cheap) trellis that my awesomely inventive husband built.


Heirloom tomatoes that may not make it to ripening stage.  They're just perfect, right now, for frying...


Between my oldest daughter and my husband, our strawberries are producing a bumper crop.
I'm not really sure what that means, I just know in farmerese, it's a lot.


A renegade pumpkin plant that decided to grow in my compost pile, rather than the pumpkin patch where it belongs.


It seems that I must learn best by trial and error.  More error than anything, but this year things seem to be growing better.  One thing I learned, that I've heard all of my life, but never put into practice, is the need for mulch.  And lots of it.  Every single one of my tomato, cucumber,and melon plants took off once I added a thick layer of mulch to them.  PLUS it helps greatly in reducing the weed problem around here in this marshland.  

We still have blueberries that are just now ripening, lemons, limes, kumquats, oranges, corn, carrots, and several more herbs that I didn't snap a picture of.  What a blessing the Lord has blessed us with.

Have a beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...