Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Let Go and Let God

I follow many blogs.  Most are about homeschooling, homemaking, large families, or natural living.  It's easy to get caught up in what advice is the perfect formula for raising children, organizing your homeschool room, meal planning, or preparedness living.  So many ideas, so much advice, all wonderful and spot on, but at the same time, overwhelming.

Sometimes I find myself wishing I had all the answers.  Then I'd organize them into yet another black binder...

If I follow this person's advice, I'll have a great relationship with my husband.  If I follow this other person's advice, I'll have a best friend of my daughters.  If I follow another person's advice, I'll incorporate the perfect curriculum.  If I follow yet another person's advice, I'll be able to survive the apocalypse.  Maybe not so much on the latter, but you get the idea. 

It's very easy for us to find people we admire, take all of their advice, store it in our brain, and then get overwhelmed, hoping we get it right, do it right, say it right, so that the formula will come out right in the end.  We can't handle all of the information, much less put it to use!  Does X + Y really = Z?!  I need the right answers!

This morning was a processing day for me, apparently.  Feeling overwhelmed and like a failure, I made my way out to the garden, the only place to be alone and quiet, and cried out to the Lord.  I want to be a good wife, mother, friend to my children, and at the same time take care of all that you've blessed me with!  I can't do it all!  I can't guarantee that all of my efforts will be worth it!  I have no other option but to give it to you, Lord, all of it, every bit of it!  I cannot do it on my own, without Your guidance and wisdom, I am sunk.

Then came peace.  Give it to the Lord.  Do all I can, with what little knowledge, talent, and wisdom I have, and let God do the rest. 

I can't create the perfect family or perfect life, mostly because I am an imperfect mother, raising imperfect children, and married to an imperfect man.  It will never work.  However, I can do my best to raise my children up in "the nurture and admonition of the Lord."  (Eph 6:4), to be a godly wife, and to keep up with the home and land the Lord has entrusted me with.

And leave the rest to God.

"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect."  2 Samuel 22:31 & 33

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...