Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Multitude of Words

Proverbs 10:19  "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise."

I have a problem.....

I talk too much.

Shocking, I know.

I wish I knew how to keep quiet and still.  Sometimes, I am obedient to the wisdom of silence, and other times, I lose all self-control and say too much.  I cannot express to you how many times I have emailed or called a friend, apologizing and hoping they didn't take offense to whatever foolishness may have escaped my lips at the time.  There are times I am well meaning, but what comes out of my mouth is not very eloquent or graceful.

I interrupt.

I make jokes.

I follow rabbit trails.

Any spiritual encouragement is lost at times, simply because I have said too much.

All in all, most times I sound like an idiot.

As women, it is one of the most difficult things to stay out of gossip, or perhaps our feelings or emotions towards a hurtful relationship plays out in a conversation with a mutual friend.  Oh, how many times I wished I had refrained my lips, at the very least to appear wise.  Flippant words uttered that I can never take back.  For "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."   Proverbs 17:28


"In the multitude of words..."  it's so very easy to say too much, and end up in sin.  I pray we all learn to hold our tongue, speak words of encouragement and grace, and build others up instead of trying to sound like the all-wise, all-knowing, woman of wisdom.  But also, to keep quiet, emit peace, and just listen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...