Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Hot Caps

Here in the Gulf Coast region, we can  grow many things year round.  One of the few blessings to living in zone 9.  

However, every once in awhile, we get a cold snap.  This year, winter has been a bit unusual.  Wet, dreary, and cold.  The week I planted some of my cool weather crops, the weather was mild and sunny, and the weather forecast called for more of the same.  I should have known better.  

A few days in the 30's and 40's, and a couple of freezing nights later...

I don't have the space for a greenhouse, and filling my indoors up with multitudes of starter pots full of seedlings isn't really ideal for our living situation.  So, my compromise for keeping my seedlings safe from frost and cold weather is hot caps.


Hot caps keep the wind and frost off of your plant, keep it insulated, still allowing the plant access to the sun and fresh air.  Plus, it's a great way to reuse those water jugs!

Simply cut off the bottom of a plastic water jug, and place it over your plant.  Remember to leave the cap off the top so your plant will have ventilation.  Some of my hot caps I use to protect young seedlings, others I use to start my seeds in, like a mini-greenhouse.

Hoping to see more cabbages and greens in my garden soon!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...