Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Reputable Seed Companies

Where to find open-pollinated, non-GMO, non-hybrid, heirloom quality, organic seeds?  Whew, that's a mouthful.

If you're thinking about spring planting, or if you start your seeds indoors, now is a good time to purchase your seeds.  Many seed companies will begin to run out of their stock in January and February, don't wait until the spring to order, you need to get a jump on your planning now.

My two favorite companies are Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and Sustainable Seed Company.  Of all of the seeds I've purchased over the years, I have always had good germination/growth from the seeds of these two companies.  They have a very broad collection of heirloom seeds!


I purchased seed potatoes from Wood Prairie Farm this year.  I won't plant until next month, but I'm anxious to see how they do down here.  I emailed the company asking which potatoes would grow best in this area of the south, and received a prompt, helpful reply.

Also, here is a list of safe seed companies that I ran across from another blog.

One more goal for this year is to build a greenhouse in order to start my seeds.  It won't be of much use this spring, but perhaps the fall, and for sure next spring.

1 comment:

LindaG said...

Too wet here lately. Annoying. Need to get my onions set out.
Enjoy your seed catalogs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...