Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Journey Begins Part 4 and Final


The fall came and we decided to put our house on the market.  What was the worst that could happen?  My husband was looking for a job in IT in a good sized city, the houses in our neighborhood were selling FAST, and we would be able to leave it all behind and move to the country.  A reasonable assumption........right?

Thankfully our house in Houston was still young, not too many repairs, with the exception of an eyesore of a tree that was literally falling apart.  So, hubby and some of the older kids took it down and cut it up.  Too bad we don't have a use for firewood in deep Texas.

After a flood of showings and a couple of contracts on our house that fell through, hubby got antsy and rented the biggest truck he could find, and he and some dear friends filled the truck and our trailer and we were off.  Taking (almost) all of our worldly possessions with us.  I didn't know I had so much stuff...

We still didn't stay, but came back to Houston to spend the holidays in town and with family and friends.  We did make a quick trip in November to check on things.  And were excited about the actual "fall" that we don't get down south.  The pastures were brown and the trees were leafless, but it was still beautiful.

The hay barn was full from the summer's cutting, and that is exactly where I found my kids.  All the time.  I drew the line at eating and sleeping up there.  Although, not a terrible idea!

When my husband discovered he had several vacation days left for the year, we all agreed, we wanted to spend Christmas on the farm.  And we also agreed, that despite our frequent trips to the farm, we never really had the time to start and finish a project.  Or to unpack and sort through boxes.  Our visits lasted 2 or 3 days at a time.  Not enough to get things done!  The garage was stuffed full of boxes from our October move, and the workshop was in desperate need of a good cleaning so we could store tools.  So, hubby took all of us up, stayed a couple of days and headed home to work with the intent to come back at the end of the week.  I was without him for a week.  And THIS time.......I stayed.

Of course we cut a Christmas tree from our land.  As much as I hate cedar trees, they are useful once a year.

The big Christmas gift, a 4 wheeler.  Which has come in handy for work, as well as has been a blast to ride around the property on.  And through very little prodding, we even got my 90 year old mother-in-law on the thing and showed her around!

We did take it easy for some Christmas time, but otherwise, we worked all day, every day.  In the 2 and a half weeks were were there, almost every single box was emptied, the workshop cleaned and stocked with hubby's tools, the attic was floored for storage, and we were easily able to clean, sort, and organize.  And there's still so much to do!

I also found the time to spend a couple of afternoons in the pasture, collecting aged black gold to start as a compost in my garden bed.  Oh yes, and I set up my garden spot, complete with TWO compost bins!  There's nothing like poop and rotting food...

From this post on, I will excitedly begin my actual journey on the farm!  Looking forward to sharing my upcoming garden, livestock, home renovations, and much more!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...