Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Lavender Essential Oil




Oh my, the many uses.  When I hear the word Lavender, I think of a relaxing, English garden.  Or fields full of purple blooms in the Hill Country of Texas.  But mostly, I think of my mom. It was her favorite scent.  She had sachets, lotions, soaps, and linens fragranced with lavender.  So, besides it's many benefits, I'm kind of sentimentally partial to it.

Lavender oil can be used in skin care products, your daily cleaning regimen, refreshing your linens, and offers a myriad of skin supporting benefits.

We use a couple of drops of lavender in baby bath water for its relaxing effect, and as part of a nightly routine.  Rubbing lavender on the back of your neck or bottom of your feet can aid in a restful sleep.  You can try a couple of drops on your pillow.  It's also great in a diffuser as it leaves a clean, fresh floral fragrance in your home.

I add a few drops of lavender to my moisturizer and try to take a relaxing detox soak once a week.  For my bath, I add 1 cup Epsom salt, 1 cup baking soda, and about 10 drops of lavender oil. 


We also have used lavender oil for pest control.  Most bugs and rodents hate the smell.  When we store our seasonal clothes, I place about 4 cotton balls in the top of the clothing container with a couple of drops of lavender each in them.  We've never had an issue with silverfish or roaches or moths getting into those containers.

And if you want to make a room or linen spray, all you need is a small spray bottle filled with a mixture of 2T vodka or witch hazel, 6T of water, and 10 - 12 drops of lavender essential oil.

Also, I use it on my animals.  We have made a spray like the one above, and we have also just rubbed it on neat.  It makes a good "in-between bath" freshener for my dogs, and it's also beneficial for repelling fleas and ticks.

Disclaimer:  Once again, exercise caution and common sense when using essential oils.  Some people have skin sensitivity issues so you may need to test the oils out on a non-sensitive area of your skin, or consider diluting with a carrier oil.  Before using essential oils, always consult your doctor if you are pregnant or nursing.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...